Monday, May 18, 2009

Inside, Outside, Upside Down


I’ve had the strangest urge to make changes in my life lately. I changed the color of my hair three times over. Chocolate Cherry. Mahongeny Red. And finally rich Chocolate Brown. I say rich because it cost me $85 to have the stylist fix the mess I had made of my hair. I double pierced my ears even though my best friend told me her grandmother had double piercings, I still contend its rock & roll. I waxed my girlie bits peachy smooth –an acrobatic moment worthy of a Seinfeld episode. I took a pole dancing class and I actually paid to free fall 153 feet on a bungee cord a thrill seeking moment witnessed only by my 7-year old partner in crime. Most recently, I’ve zeroed in on a tattoo design.

The reality is, I'm tackling serious long term changes; changes that require a ton of work and tenacity. I tend to avoid change because it often scares the shit out of me. But, it also excites me, so sometimes I put myself in a situation where change is forced upon me. I’m not a complete whimp afterall.

In the meantime, I find myself doing these little “outside” things. Let me save the co-pay. It wouldn’t take a PhD to realize I am hopeful these little outward changes will add up to a mondo “inside” change. Stupid when you think about it. And I have. And I get that. But I still can’t stop thinking about the tattoo. Maybe because it’s so not me. And I frankly, don’t feel much like being like me these days. Someone told me that if you get a tat done close to the bone, the image can actually stain your skeleton. Now, we’re talking permanent change, huh?

How about you? Have you made any outside changes in the hopes that will affect you inside?

Ever read the Dr.Seuss classic “Inside Outside Upside Down”?

Do you think classy tattoo is an oxymoron?

may 6. 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment